2014年6月29日 星期日

The story of Abraham (6)

Gen 12:14  When Abram entered Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.


Gen 12:15  And when the princes of Pharaoh saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.


Gen 12:16  And for her sake he dealt well with Abram; and he had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male servants, female servants, female donkeys, and camels.


Gen 12:17  But the LORD afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife.


Gen 12:18  So Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife?


Gen 12:19  Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her for my wife? Now then, here is your wife; take her, and go."


Gen 12:20  And Pharaoh gave men orders concerning him, and they sent him away with his wife and all that he had.





Abraham went down to Egypt for fleeing from the famine in Canaan. As he considered, the Egyptians saw his wife (and his sister) Sarai as a very beautiful woman. However, something was also beyond his expectation, Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, wanted to marry Sarai!


We could plan and make every preparation for our future, while the nature of life is that there is always an accident. Abraham expected that the Egyptians will see Sarai as a beautiful woman and, thus, he made a plan in order to keep his family alive by claiming Sarai was his sister. It worked. But not everything was under control. Now he must face the most superior power of Egypt, the command from Pharaoh of taking Sarai away!


What will you do if you were Abraham? To tell Pharaoh the truth that Sarai is my wife? This may lead not only Abraham but also his family, such as Lot, to be killed in Egypt. To hide the truth and pretend nothing happened? Anyway, I received plenty of gifts from Pharaoh although I have to suffer from the separation of the one I love. Oh! God! What should I do? Will everything be fine if I had ignored your calling and had stayed in Ur?


Under this difficult circumstance, God saved Abraham. “Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me! … Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation! (Ps 27:7, 9)” It is true that life is full of accidents, difficulties and powers that we cannot overcome, while for those have trust in God life is always under the protection from the LORD. And he will be our salvation!


This story is also a protype for all Christians that the world likes to give us richness in exchange of what you have and love, like your sincere hearts, pure faith and love for Christ. Some people compromise and make the deal. Whereas some people refuse to exchange, eventually they are forsaken by the world as Abraham was sent away from Egypt. This story reminds us that whenever we face great powers from the world to persecute us, we shall remember there is always a greater power above all powers --- our salvation and God!


Abraham was sent away with Sarai and all he had peacefully. He continued to wander in the world. Egypt is not his home as the world is not our home. We are in the world but not of the world. As he seeks his own home, we also seek our home which is not on earth but in heavens!



沒有留言:

張貼留言